Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Swami Ramalingam

I haven't blogged for a while. For some people blogging comes naturally, but for me, especially at present, I find it is easier for me to write stuff for my website (kheper net) or my book (The Integral Paradigm) or simply reply to emails. But I do feel obligated to at least keep some updates going, and a lot's been happening, so here goes:

Swami Ramalingam (Vallalar) - About a month or two ago my friend and correspondent Rick Lipschutz told me about the work of the late T.R.Thulasiram, a Tamil devotee of Sri Aurobindo, the Mother, Swami Ramdas, and Swami Ramalingam (my brief (at time of writing) page, Wikipedia page), also known as Vallalar) and resident of Sri Aurobindo ashram. In 1980 Thulasiram's huge two volume 2000 page opus (Arut Perum Jyothi and Deathless Body was published by Madras University; it is long out of print and very rare (although a CD and pdf version is available on the AUMRA Trust website (dedicated to Thulasiram's work). Basically, Thulasiram's thesis is that some of these Tamil siddhas (especially Thirumoolar and Ramalingam) attained the same Supramental realisations as Sri Aurobindo. At first I was sceptical, but the more I attuned to Swami Ramalingam presence the more he affected me in a positive way. For me he combines elements of Ramana Maharshi (deep compassion for all sentient beings) with Sri Aurobindo and the Mother's supramental integral yoga.

At the same time, whether separately or not I don't know, I have been inspired to upgrade and update my website (and also my book), especially focusing on the Integral Paradigm. For me now the Integral Paradigm begins primarily with the yoga of Thirumoolar, Ramalingam, Sri Aurobindo and Mirra (the Mother), although there seem to be a few amazing parallels with Christ, and perhaps one can go back further to Ancient Egypt. All this refers to the yoga of the perfection (divinisation) of the body (hence also siddha and Taoist yogic alchemy). In classic spirituality the body and things of the world are disparaged (with only a few exceptions, e.g. Paganism, Tantra etc), but this is a yoga that includes the body. I still take Sri Aurobindo's definition of Integral Yoga as the esoteric core of the integral paradigm - the complete and evolutionary divinisation of the entire being.

This is not to deny the importance of the secular Integral philosophies or studies of Teilhard, Gebser, Haskell, Jantsch, Maslow, Murphy, Paul Ray, Wilber, etc. However I do make a distinction between the radical esoteric yoga of Integral divinisation, and the "exoteric" theories of synthesis of psycho-socio developmental and evolutionary levels.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Interesting post. On what basis is the comparison with Aurobindo's supramental drawn? Adepts in Dzogchen have also been heard to dematerialize at death into the 'rainbow body', I wonder if they are similar experiences.

8:50 AM  
Blogger search for Vast Grace Light said...

Great Start. Best wishes Alan. In fact much needed investigation. This work was not taken seriously by many. Ramalinga's work were not properly understood/experienced by his disciples. A better understanding comes after connecting to Sri Aurobindo, The Mother and Ramana Maharishi.

Please check Sobhana's experiences of Ramalinga in

http://ramalinga.com/english.html

7:37 PM  
Blogger Theofilia said...

"I still take Sri Aurobindo's definition of Integral Yoga as the esoteric core of the integral paradigm -- the complete and evolutionary divinisation of the entire body."

YES, and I second that Alan! I second that because I LIVE in a "glorified body".
Sri A's body of work 'verified' this for me couple of years ago, that's I'm boldly declaring this. . .In fact, in my last blog's comment section, I stated that, "I knew Aurobindo's work before I read it" (because I live it).

I did write to you Alan a couple of years ago asking for permission to quote from Kheper, to which you replied "yep" - it's all on record in my blog.
I don't know if you recall my sharing from 1990' experience about my head lighting up "like the Sun" -- for several minutes in the bright of day -- according to my frightened husband, who with shooing away hand gestures and quick glances in my direction kept pleading, "Don't do that I can't see you". . .
Your reply to that 'incident' was, "That's wild".

It's been pretty wild these last 20 years alright. . . and a supremely great burden!

11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home